FAQs about Tax & Finance

FAQs about Tax & Finance

Tax & Finance FAQs

Why are there two tax bills?
The two tax bills issued (July 1 and December 1) represent millage levies for different taxing entities. 

The summer tax statement levies taxes for Kent County Operating, Grand Rapids Community College, Kent Intermediate School District and if you are in the Rockford or Lowell Public School Districts half of those taxes. 

The winter tax statement levies your local school district (100% for Forest Hills and 50% for Rockford and Lowell), Kent District Library, Kent County (Jail, Senior, Zoo and Child) and Cannon Township (operating, fire and recreation). 

The July 1st tax statement is the larger of the two.  
How can I tell if I'm receiving the Principal Residence Exemption?
 There are two places on your tax statement where it will indicate if you are receiving the Principal Residence Exemption.

First, on the left side of the bill you will see an area which lists your Taxable Value.  The last line of this paragraph will read: % PRE/MBT: 100%.  This indicates you are receiving a 100% Principal Residence Exemption.

Second, on the right side of the bill you will see all of the taxing entities.  Your local school district would indicate:
RPS Operating               (the millage rate)                             EXEMPT
This again indicates you are not being charged the local school district operating millage.

If you still are not sure, please contact the Treasurer's office and we can go over with you.
How do I tell if my mortgage company is paying my taxes?
You will always receive a copy of your tax statement regardless of whether you have an escrow.  That is State Law.  

Look at the top right of the tax statement and you will see: Mortgage Code:   If there is a code listed an escrow service has requested to receive a copy of your tax statement and you will see the statement "Informational Copy Only".  If there is no code no one has requested a copy.  If you have an escrow and there is no code, please contact your mortgage company for further clarification.
How do I apply for a deferment of property taxes?

Summer property taxes may be deferred until February 14th without additional penalties or interest added if you meet the following criteria:

The property must be your principal residence and your gross household income for the preceding calendar year did not exceed $40,000.  In addition you must meet one of the following criteria:

1, 62 years of age or older, including the unmarried surviving spouse of a person who was 62 years of age or older
at the time of death
2. Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Quadriplegic
3. Eligible Serviceperson, Eligible Veteran, Eligible Widow or Widower
4. Blind Person
5. Totally and Permanently Disabled

You can also qualify if your property is classified as  Agricultural Real Property.

Please  fill out the form listed below and attach a copy of last year's income tax return (please black out all social security information) and return to the Treasurer before September 14th.